Connect with us

High School

Jefferson stuns nationally top-ranked Blessed Trinity, advances to state championship

Blessed Trinity finished the 2018 season undefeated against Georgia teams. They had lost a couple out-of-state games vs. some of the toughest competition in the nation, but otherwise, appeared to be the team to beat in the state of Georgia. Most recently, they were even ranked the #1 high school team in the nation. After a frustrating — and thrilling — three game state championship last year, Blessed Trinity was ready to get revenge and bring home the title in 2018.

That would not be so, as the Jefferson Dragons, region 8-AAAA champions, would take down the Titans in just two games — a 10-7 slugfest in game one and a 2-0 shutout in game two. We saw the first signs of potential weakness from Blessed Trinity when they dropped their first in-state matchup of the year in the quarterfinals vs. Columbus. They would eventually pull out a hard fought 2-1 series victory over the region 1 two seed.

It’s been an even harder fought battle through the GHSA playoffs for Jefferson. It took them all of three games to take down four-seeded Chestatee in the first round before struggling with Woodward in the quarterfinal round — which would also require three games to settle. Then, after three tough series, they would have to get through the buzzsaw that has been Blessed Trinity. We were all expecting a good matchup between these two teams in the semifinals, but never imagined we’d see Jefferson take it so easily from the #1 ranked team in the nation, which seemed destined to return to the class AAAA finals.

Instead, it will be Jefferson who will take on Cartersville at State Mutual Stadium, home of the Rome Braves. The first two games of the best-of-three are slated for May 21st with a third game on May 23rd, if necessary.

That just goes to show — when the playoffs start, all bets are off. All it takes is a hot streak (or cold snap) at the right time to create a miracle run or a disappointing finish.

Here’s a look at the championship matchups from the other classes:

• AAAAAAA: Parkview takes down Woodstock in three games while Mill Creek takes down Brookwood in three to setup an all-Gwinnett championship between Parkview and Mill Creek. The matchup will take place May 22nd (and 23rd, if necessary) at Foley Field in Athens.
  • AAAAAA: Pope takes down River Ridge in two games to advance. They’ll face the winner of Alpharetta and Allatoona (which has been postponed due to rain). Allatoona took game one, 5-2. Pope will face the winner of the Alpharetta/Allatoona series in Rome on May 22nd (23rd, if necessary).
  • AAAAA: The highly touted Loganville Red Devils (alma mater of Yankees prospect, Clint Frazier) takes down Starr’s Mill in two games to advance. They’ll face two-seed Buford who has tore through top-ranked competition, including their neighbors, Flowery Branch, in the semifinal round. Loganville and Buford will face off at Foley Field on May 21st (23rd, if necessary).
  • AAA: Lovett downs Morgan County in two games, by a combined score of 24-4, while Westminister defeats Ringgold in two close matchups. Lovett and Westminister will face off at Mercer beginning May 21st (23rd, if necessary).
  • AA: Berrien downs Jeff Davis in three games, while Benedictine takes two straight games after dropping game one to Callaway. Jeff Davis and Benedictine face off May 21st (23rd, if necessary) in Savannah for the AA state finals.
  • A Public: Gordon Lee defeats Bowdon in two games. Irwin County and Telfair County are still in action (games postponed due to rain), but Telfair leads Irwin one game-to-none. The winners face off May 22nd (23rd, if necessary) in Savannah.
  • A Private: It took three games, but Prince Avenue took town highly ranked statewide powerhouse, Holy Innocents in a thrilling series. First Presbyterian Day School and Tattnall Square are still awaiting the start of their series. The winners will face off May 22nd (23rd, if necessary) in Macon.

College student working in radio and sports marketing with an unbridled passion for the game of baseball, the greatest sport on Earth. Proud to cover high school, college, and Braves baseball for Peachtree Pennant.

13 Comments

13 Comments

1. Alljobspo Medicals

September 11, 2018 at 10:06 pm

Hey, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

2. minecraft

October 4, 2018 at 2:19 am

An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I do think that you ought to publish more about
    this subject matter, it may not be a taboo matter but typically folks
    don’t speak about these subjects. To the next! Many thanks!!

3. minecraft

October 5, 2018 at 3:21 am

I do not even understand how I stopped up right here, however I believed this submit was great.
    I do not know who you might be however certainly you are going to a famous blogger in the event you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

4. minecraft

October 7, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Its such as you learn my mind! You appear to know so much approximately this, like you wrote
    the e book in it or something. I think that you just can do with a few percent to power the message
    home a bit, but instead of that, that is fantastic blog.

A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

5. minecraft

October 7, 2018 at 7:50 pm

It’s amazing designed for me to have a site, which is helpful for my know-how.
    thanks admin

6. minecraft

October 8, 2018 at 1:42 am

Hey there I am so happy I found your website, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else,
    Anyways I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a remarkable post and
    a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to
    go through it all at the moment but I have saved it
    and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time
    I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

7. minecraft free download 2018

October 8, 2018 at 11:55 pm

Hi mates, its enormous article regarding educationand completely explained, keep it up all the time.

8. minecraft free download 2018

October 9, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand a lot
    approximately this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something.
    I believe that you can do with a few p.c. to drive the
    message home a little bit, however instead of that, that is magnificent blog.
    An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

9. minecraft free download 2018

October 9, 2018 at 11:42 pm

My family members all the time say that I am killing my time here at net,
    but I know I am getting know-how all the time by reading such
    pleasant articles or reviews.

10. minecraft free download 2018

October 10, 2018 at 4:08 am

I am not sure the place you are getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time studying more or figuring out more.

Thanks for excellent info I used to be on the lookout
    for this info for my mission.

11. minecraft free download 2018

October 10, 2018 at 4:47 am

Hey there! I understand this is sort of off-topic however I
    had to ask. Does building a well-established blog
    like yours take a massive amount work? I am brand new to running a blog however I
    do write in my journal every day. I’d like to
    start a blog so I can share my experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring
    bloggers. Appreciate it!

12. minecraft free download 2018

October 11, 2018 at 7:38 am

Hi there! Quick question that’s entirely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My web site looks weird when browsing from my iphone4.
    I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to
    correct this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share.

Thanks!

13. more info here

October 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm

I simply want to tell you that I am just new to blogs and definitely loved your web-site. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You really come with incredible articles. With thanks for revealing your web page.