It’s been a wild week of baseball in Georgia! From high school championships to big Braves matchups and to conference tournament action. Here’s a look at some headlines from across Division I college baseball in Georgia:
- GEORGIA SWEPT: They entered the tournament as one of the top 10 teams in the nation and the #3 seed in the SEC. They leave 0-2, falling in two games to Texas A&M and then to Ole Miss. When it appeared Ole Miss had gift wrapped the game to UGA on an unthinkable two-run error, Georgia would blow a one-run lead in the tenth. They look to put this behind them and look ahead to Selection Sunday, where they’re poised to make their first Regional appearance in seven years — and potentially host one. (Although, their performance this weekend did not aid their cause.)
- MERCER’S OFFENSE UNLOADS: Needless to say, it’s been a very disappointing year for Mercer — who was expected to easily take the SoCon. While they were spectacular outside of conference — even beating #1 Florida, they just couldn’t figure out the Southern Conference. Something seems to have clicked with their offense in the tournament thus far, as they have defeated VMI 19-0 (in seven innings!) and Western Carolina 15-0 (also in seven innings). They’re one win away from the SoCon championship in Greenville. #5-seed Mercer takes on #2-seed Samford in a winner’s bracket matchup on Saturday at 12pm, with the loser playing later that night and the winner advancing to the championship on Sunday at noon. A conference title would be a huge boost for a team that has struggled mightily against their own conference this year. They’re laying it on early — let’s see if they can sustain this success through the weekend.
- GEORGIA STATE’S NEAR NO HITTER: Georgia State’s Hunter Gattis through 7-2/3 no hit innings in the SunBelt tournament. Gattis’s final line was 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 12 K. He finishes the season with a 9-4 record and an ERA of 2.95. It was no doubt his most dominant start of the year — but the offense just couldn’t back him up. Little Rock would score two in the ninth to take the contest, 2-1, eliminating Georgia State from the SunBelt tournament (which they entered as the last seed).
- SOUTHERN STAYS ALIVE: Eagles took down UT Arlington on Thursday, 3-1. They face another elimination game on Friday as they face defending SunBelt champions, South Alabama, at 4pm. Georgia Southern — a very pleasant surprise out of the SunBelt this year — will be the home team as they try to claw their way into the championship.
- KSU ELIMINATED: Owls fall to Stetson, 2-1. Their season concludes as they finish 25-30.
We’ll keep you updated on the latest conference tournament action from across the Peach State throughout the weekend. Stay with us here at PeachtreePennant.com and on Twitter @PeachPennant.